Contact us 01772 625567

Supporting Business Regulations

South Ribble Borough Council works to help local businesses contact relevant services easily - for advice and help to comply with Government regulations.

Services including Business Rates, Planning, Licensing, Trade Waste, Health & Safety, Building Control, Food Safety and others are provided by the Council. Much of the advice is available free to businesses. To access the support service you need, please visit the business pages on the South Ribble Borough Council website.

You can check the rateable value of your property – this is set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and used by the council to calculate your business rates bill at the following link:

Autumn Statement 2022: Business Rates Factsheet

The Government have put in place some measures to help businesses for the 2023 revaluation Autumn Statement 2022: Business Rates Factsheet - GOV.UK (

Below are some key points which may be relevant to your business:

  • Freezing the multipliers (small business multiplier and standard multiplier at 49.9p and 51.2p)
  • Increasing % of retail relief (50% to 75%)
  • Transitional Relief (supports ratepayers facing large increases in their business rates bills as a result of a revaluation)
  • Protecting small businesses that, due to the revaluation, will lose their eligibility for either Small Business or Rural Rate Relief (Supporting Small Business (SSB) scheme will provide support over the next 3 years to cap bill increases at £600 per year)
  • The Small business rate relief is still applicable to business with an RV under 15,000 (100% for businesses under 12,000)

If you would like to register a food business, you can access the form from our download page. Alternatively, please download the leaflet below to find contact details for all the relevant services or call 01772 625625  for assistance.

Providing Environmental Health Advice to Businesses

Other Regulatory Services

Better Business for All: Do you need help understanding what regulations apply to your business and ensuring you achieve and maintain compliance? Better Business for All is a government initiative to help you do this, for details please see: 

Fire Safety Risk Assessment Guidance: If you need help assessing fire risks or in putting appropriate safety measures in place, you may choose to employ a fire risk assessor/consultant to help you.  Fire and Rescue Authorities do not complete fire risk assessments but may give you advice about how to identify competent help.  Please follow the links below for advice and to identify a competent fire risk assessor:

South Ribble Borough Council
Civic Centre, West Paddock
Leyland, Lancashire PR25 1DH
Back to Top